Welcome to the Fresno State Bulldog Newspaper Student Survey Form The Challenge of Democracy.
We want to share our ideas with you and understand your views on
American government and politics. To this end, we have devised a
short survey that you can take right from this web page.
Your responses to the questions below will help us gauge your current
knowledge, assess attitudes, and provide feedback for you and your
instructors. Responses are confidential and only composite results
(rather than individual responses) will be gathered.
I. Your Interest In and Knowledge about Politics
1. How would you rate your knowledge of American government and
politics right now?
2.What was the most important reason for your interest in politics?
3. In general, how interested are you in American government and
4. Right now, do you plan to take other courses in American
government and politics?
5. Which party, the Democrats or the Republicans, has the most
members in the U.S. House at present?
6. Which party, the Democrats or the Republicans, has the most
members in the U.S. Senate?
7. Is there a limit on the number of terms in office a president
of the U.S. can serve or not?
8. How many years is a single term in office for a U.S. Senator?
9. At the national level, is one of the two major parties more
conservative than the other?
Please identify the last names of the following government
10. Majority leader of the U.S. Senate
11. Speaker of the U.S. House
12. Chief Justice of Supreme Court
Were any of these pieces of legislation passed by Congress
during the last three years?
13. Providing for a national health insurance plan
14. Limiting the number of terms members of Congress can serve
15. Passing a proposed Constitution amendment requiring that the budget be balanced annually
16. Which party favors making greater reductions in future
Medicare and Medicaid spending?
17. Is more of the federal budget now spent on Medicare, or is more
spent on foreign aid?
18. Which country has the lowest tax burden? (computed as percent
of gross domestic product)
II: Your Political Beliefs
19. Generally speaking, do you think of yourself as a Republican,
Democrat, Independent or what?
20. Do your parents agree or disagree with your political party
21. How would you rate your own political orientation on the
22. In your opinion, do U.S. political parties have too much
power, or too little power?
23. Some people think the government is trying to do too many
things that should be left to individuals and businesses. Others
think that government should do more to solve our country's problems.
Which comes closer to your own view?
24. Some people think the government should promote
traditional values in our society. Others think the government should
not favor any particular set of values. Which is closer to your own
III: Your Experience With Computers
25. Do you have a microcomputer in your room?
26. How well do you use computers, relative to your classmates?
27. How frequently do you access the Internet or World Wide Web (WWW)?
28. Have you ever used the WWW in a course at your university
IV: You and Your Background
29. Year in college:
31. Your ethnicity is:
32. Field of major or preference:
33. What is/was the usual occupation of the main income-earner in
your parental household?
34. Where in the U.S. did you spend most of your high-school
35. How would you classify the community in which you spent most
of that time?
36. OPTIONAL QUESTION. Your religion is:
37. OPTIONAL QUESTION. Roughly speaking, what would you estimate
your parental income to be?
Review your answers to make sure they are correct before pressing
the "submit" button. That will record your answers and end the survey.